EMS 14001-Environmental Management System
About EMS 14001
ISO 14001 is an internationally agreed standard involving environmental management system. This standard assists organizations in improving environmental performance by using resources efficiently. Further, it helps in managing waste reduction and getting a competitive edge over the competitors. ISO 14001 is based on the high-level structure for all management system, an organization can combine systems with other standards e.g. ISO 9001 and ISO 45001 and create an Integrated Management System (IMS).
When it comes to environmental management system, it enables organization in identifying and monitoring environmental issues while managing the same comprehensively. The benchmark of ISO 14001 Standard is that organizations irrespective of their size could leverage the advantage in terms of managing environmental issues like:
- Air pollution
- Water and sewage issues
- Waste management
- Soil contamination
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Use of resources and their efficiency
What are the benefits in accomplishing EMS 14001 certification?
- Demonstrates compliance in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements
- Ensures more involvement of leaders and employee's engagement
- Increases reputation of company and wins the confidence of stakeholders by means of strategic communication
- Enables in attaining strategic business through incorporating environmental issues in business management
- Increases efficiency and reduces costs thereby helps in gaining competitive and financial advantage
- Ensures increase in environmental performance of suppliers as gets integrated into business systems of the organization
What are all the Guidelines for getting EMS 14001 Certification?
- Develop environment policy and communicate the same
- Review environmental aspects
- Assess legal requirements and monitor compliance
- Set targets and objectives and develop the programs to achieve them
- Identify training needs and implement a strategy for achieving them
- Complete an internal audit
- Review management of the EMS and environmental performance of the organization
How does NIST help in getting EMS 14001 Certification?
- Develop environmental policy
- Identify the environmental aspects created by the business and assess the impacts and look at ways to reduce them.
- Identify environmental legal and related requirements
- Develop objectives, targets, and plan management programs to achieve them.
- Define roles and responsibilities of all within the organization.
- Develop competence and training awareness program
- Develop communication processes for all stakeholders
- Create documentation as required by ISO 14001
- Develop document control and operational control procedures
- Develop emergency preparedness and respond procedures
- Develop procedure for monitoring and measuring
- Develop a procedure for evaluation of compliance
- Conduct internal ISO 14001 audits