ISO 45001 Consultancy
About ISO 45001
ISO 45001 is an International Standard that specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, with guidance for its use, to enable an organization to proactively improve its OH&S performance in preventing injury and ill-health. ISO 45001 is intended to replace the existing OHSAS 18001 standards and is applicable to any organization regardless of its size, type and nature. ISO 45001 enables an organization, through its OH&S management system, to integrate other aspects of health and safety, such as worker wellness / wellbeing; however, it should be noted that an organization can be required by applicable legal requirements to also address such issues. With ISO 45001 being based on the high-level structure for all management systems, an organization can combine systems with other standards e.g. ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
What are the benefits of ISO 45001?
- Developing and implementing an OH&S policy and OH&S objectives
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its "context" and which take into account its risk and opportunities, and legal and other requirements.
- Determining the hazards and OH&S risk associated with its activties; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects.
- Establishing operational controls to manage its OH&S risk and its legal and other requirements.
- Increasing awareness of its OH&S risk.
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, through taking appropriate actions
- Ensuring workers take an active role in OH&S matters
In combination, these measures will ensure that an organization’s reputation as a safe place to work will be promoted, and can have more direct benefits, such as
- Improving its ability to respond to legal and regulatory compliance issues
- Reinforced leadership commitment to proactively improve OH&S performence
- Reducing the overall costs of workplace incidents and insurance premiums
- Improved staff Morale
- Reducing downtime and the costs of disruption to operations
- Recognition for having achieved an international benchmark (which may in turn influence customers who are concerned about their social responsibilities)
- Reducing absenteeism and employee turnover rates leading to increased productivity
What are the various steps involved in establishing ISO 45001 Management System?
- Formation of core team for ISO 45K
- ISO 45001 Awareness training program
- Establish OH&S policy and objectives
- Identify hazards and associated risks
- Evaluate risks likelihood and impact
- Identify OH&S Risks & Opportunities
- Verify the compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Preparation of draft OCP & OH&S Procedures, initiation of OHSMS manual
- Finalization of OCP and Procedures, Finalization of OHSMS manual
- Verification of adequacy of documentation
- Issue of documents for ISO 45K (OH&S Procedures, OCP, Etc.)
- Conducting 1st internal audit & taking corrective action
- Conducting 1st Management review
Once ISO 45001 Certificate is released, it will last for three years and is subject to mandatory audits every year to ensure that you are compliant. At the end of the three years, you will be requested to complete a reassessment audit in order to become recertified to the standard.
How can NIST help to acquire ISO 45001 Certification?
Our Team offers a variety of Consulting Services and Solutions.
We understand that each organization is unique. Our Solutions are comprehensive and will be customized to meet your specific needs. Following is a brief of our implementation process:
- Develop Occupation Health and Safety (OH&S) policy
- Identify and develop a legal register based on the OH&S national and state laws and creation of plan to achieve the same
- Assist in identifying the hazards and assessing the risks and deciding on effective control measures.
- Develop objectives, targets, and plan management programs to achieve them.
- Define the roles and responsibilities of all within the organization including visitors and contractors.
- Develop a bouquet of trainings based on each individual organizations needs and deliver and certify the delegates
- Develop communication processes for all stakeholders
- Create documentation as required by ISO 45001
- Develop document control and operational control procedures
- Develop emergency preparedness and response procedures
- Develop procedures for active and reactive monitoring and measurement.
- Develop a procedure for evaluation of compliance
- Assist in conducting internal audits based on the requirement of ISO 45001.
- In short NIST supports end to end handholding from creating necessary documents, templates, OCP in line with OHSMS requirement. NIST believes in partnership model & has good appreciation on the requirement of the standards and the process adopted by various Prestigious International certification bodies. This makes the implementation process happen in a time bound fashion and leading to the desired goals in a hassle free manner.